I love all about Espressif . ESP8266, ESP32, are great and cheap microcontrollers. Much faster then ‘Arduino’. With a BT and WiFi onboard. I I have made a dozen diverent devices using Wemos or NodeMcu. One of them, was a temperature monitor. This device was closed with a alloy housing and worked pretty good. But then i bought a 3D printer, and decided to create the best WEMOS + OLED housing 🙂
Later on I discovered OctoPrint and Printer Monitor (PM) by Qrome. This one let you see the basic parameters of print job. I’m not gonna talk about PM software. If you’re ‘Arduino’ guy, uploading they code will take you 10 minutes. All PM configuration is made by the www interface!
Going back to design.
This case was designed for Wemos D1 and 0.96″ OLED display – version I2C. Keep in mind, that I2C version use only four wires to run, while SPI – seven. These seven wires will not fit in the HINGE.
How to print.
I printed mine monitor with a PLA and PETG. It good idea to print HINGE and BASE with the same material type.
- DISPLAY Print with No supports
- HINGE Print with No supports
- BASE Print with supports Only touching build plate
- COVER Print with supports Only touching build plate
- HOOK Print with No supports
There is a sequence you must follow. Otherwise, you will get flustrate 🙂
- Desolder all goldpins from OLED and Wemos.
- Prepare four thin cables, about 95 mm long each.
- Solder this cables to the OLED display. Make sure you know which cable corresponds which display PIN (write it somewhere)
- Slide all four cables through the HINGE. Try to keep them in order.
- Take three 2^6mm screws, and screw down HINGE and DISPLAY.
- Take a 2^6mm screw and cut the thread in HINGE. Simply screw and unscrew. This will help you later on.
- Now the tricky part. Put all four cables into the HINGE. Next place all of them into the horizontal gap. This in ONLY way, tu assembly HINGE without cutting the cables.
- While the cables are in the place,
- gently slide HINGE into BODY
- Take the 2^6 screw and secure the HINGE.
- Solder cables to WEMOS and snap it to COVER.
- Now it’s time for test
- Slide COVER to BASE and secure with a 2^6mm screw from the bottom.
- An you are done!
- Optionality, you can use wall hook